Monday, November 23, 2009

Season of Thanksgiving


Thanksgiving is almost upon us and I am so excited to spend the holiday with my bigger family this year! We will be traveling up to my parents on Wednesday evening to begin the festivities! I am looking forward to waking up Thursday morning to the delicious smells that always seem to fill my Mom's home. My Mom has requested that I make homemade mashed potatoes - BUT, she will be making the gravy!! It is a given truth no matter who makes what on whatever occasion happens to be at hand. Pure heaven. She can make any kind of gravy for any accompaniment and it comes out perfect every time! Can you tell I love her gravy. The little boat of goodness sits in front of my place setting during dinner. I would put a straw in it if I could get away with it. I begrudgingly pass it when forced and then quickly snatch it back as soon as possible. One year my Mom had just gotten out of the hospital before our family celebration - my sisters and I happily planned and cooked the whole feast - we waited on my Mom and let her rest. When everything was completed and it was almost time for our meal, I promptly walked over to my Mom and said "I don't care how sick you are - you will make the gravy!" This has been a family joke now for years!! Do you know she went into the kitchen and made her award-winning delight? She could bottle this stuff - it is addicting!
There are many scrumptious dishes served at on our Thanksgiving table: turkey, of course, and this year it will be smoked - my parents are also smoking 2 pork roasts - sweet potato souffle, green beans with almonds, stuffing (oh, my Mom's other specialty!), corn, creamed spinach, mashed potatoes, cranberry delight, fruit compote (a blend of apples, cranberries, apricots and other fruits cooked down and transformed in to bliss) - plus a myriad of appetizers (stuffed celery being the most traditional and our favorite) - a relish tray and assorted pies and cheesecake. My mouth is watering!!!
We will all talk about God's blessings in our lives and how thankful we are for His goodness. This year, I am especially thankful to enjoy this holiday season with my beloved family.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment on my Blog of Life ~ I love hearing from you!

CONCETTA'S RECIPES

The Kitchenettes ~ A Hospitality Club

Romans 12:13
Pursue the practice of hospitality.

The Kitchenettes is all about teaching and mentoring young girls in the art of hospitality. It is so much more than cooking or doing domestic tasks ~ hospitality is the very heart of God ~ a demonstration of pouring His love onto others. This group of young girls are learning the very nature and character of God as they serve people and sharpen their skills in homemaking.

NAME LEGACIES

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails

background

Copyright

myfreecopyright.com registered & protected