Thursday, March 10, 2011

Vegetarian Pantry Soup


This hearty soup came about as I was in my kitchen contemplating what I would make for supper with very little ingredients on hand. We have not gone grocery shopping yet and there was not going to be an opportunity to add to items I already had in my home today. I had to think about making something delicious and satisfying to feed my family - and it had to be somewhat quick to accommodate every one's schedules. Ta~Da....this is the soup I served tonight and it was well loved and devoured!
~*~

I served it with my favorite go-to rice dish and buttered crescent rolls topped with poppy and sesame seeds. A crisp, green salad would make an excellent accompaniment - alas, I did have any salad fixings!

I hope you enjoy!


Vegetarian Pantry Soup & Savory Baked Rice

Saute in 2 T olive oil:
1 chopped onion
2 cloves minced garlic
3 diced carrots
*
Sprinkle with kosher salt and fresh cracked black pepper.
*
Add 1 diced sweet potato - saute for 5-6 minutes.
*
Add the following spices to taste: 1-1/2 t each ~
Garlic Powder
Onion Powder
Adobo Seasoning
Basil
Oregano
*
Add rinsed beans ~
2 cans black beans
2 cans red kidney beans
1 can pinto beans
*
Pour in 1/2 c Sherry - simmer for 5 minutes.
*
Add 6 cups chicken broth.
*
Bring to a gentle boil.
*
Reduce to simmer for 45 minutes.
*
Serve ladled over rice.

~*~
For the rice:

In an oven proof cast iron pan or dutch oven:
Saute 1 diced onion and 3 T olive oil.
Add kosher salt and fresh black pepper.
Saute until soft and beginning to brown.
Add 1-1/2 c rice and 3 cups chicken broth.
Add 1 T butter and 1 t each of spices ~
onion powder
garlic powder
basil
parsley
oregano
Place lid on pot and bake @ 350 for 45 minutes.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
I am linking to the following food parties:

PhotobucketPhotobucketTidy Mom I'm Lovin It Fridays



5 comments:

  1. This sounds delicious Concetta. I have been creative with soup before. This is a very nice main dish and sounds very tasty! Thanks for liking up.
    Sherry

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Concetta! Thank you so much for posting the Feed Me Tweet Me Follow Me Home Blog Hop on your site, that is lovely! And thank you for linking up with your beautiful soup as well. It sounds just delicious, and I love that it can be made with ingredients that are already in your pantry. The baked rice recipe sounds like perfect comfort food too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This looks fantastic! I love how it is made with pantry staples - making it a frugal dish too. I am visiting from Feed Me Tweet me Follow Me Home and am your newest follower.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dearest Concetta,

    How yummy looking!..,Thanks so much for sharing this soup recipe!..,

    Thanks also for visiting and joining us for last week's TTTT and also for my 73rd, 'Tuesday Tea For Two', as well..,Your teatime with butterflies, fabulously presented birthday teatime food and goodies, especially with your dearest little one, was pure delight!

    ~ (Also, my apologies;I was out of my office and therefore unable to pop by until now).



    Have a wonderful week ahead!

    Cheers and hugs from Wanda Lee

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment on my Blog of Life ~ I love hearing from you!

CONCETTA'S RECIPES

The Kitchenettes ~ A Hospitality Club

Romans 12:13
Pursue the practice of hospitality.

The Kitchenettes is all about teaching and mentoring young girls in the art of hospitality. It is so much more than cooking or doing domestic tasks ~ hospitality is the very heart of God ~ a demonstration of pouring His love onto others. This group of young girls are learning the very nature and character of God as they serve people and sharpen their skills in homemaking.

NAME LEGACIES

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails

background

Copyright

myfreecopyright.com registered & protected